Prep time: 6 hours 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Makes 4 servings
Fody's Low FODMAP Jerk Chicken with Pineapple Salsa
Description of Fody's Low FODMAP Jerk Chicken with Pineapple Salsa
Are you a spicy food lover? This Low FODMAP Jerk Chicken will thrill you with its bold flavors, all brought together by Fody Low FODMAP Garlic-Infused Olive Oil. One taste and you will never again be able to say that low FODMAP food is boring! Plan ahead as the chicken needs to marinate for at least 6 hours, but you can also let it marinate overnight. The pineapple salsa takes just a few minutes to prep and the coconut rice is just as easy as regular steamed rice. Read the low FODMAP recipe though before beginning so you understand the flow of prep and grilling. And speaking of grilling, this dish is best cooked on the grill, but I give you an oven option in the Tips at the end of the recipe.
Fody's Low FODMAP Jerk Chicken with Pineapple Salsa Ingredients
- Chicken & Marinade:
- ½ cup (120 ml) Fody Low FODMAP Garlic-Infused Olive Oil
- ½ cup (32 g) chopped scallion greens
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon peeled, minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 medium jalapeno, stemmed, seeded and roughly chopped
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 medium chicken legs, about 2 1/2 pounds/1.2 kg
- Extra vegetable oil
- Pineapple Salsa:
- 1-pound (455 g) finely diced fresh pineapple
- ¼ cup (16 g) chopped scallion greens
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Caribbean Rice:
- 2 tablespoons Fody Low FODMAP Garlic-Infused Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons peeled, minced fresh ginger
- 2 cups (390 g) medium or long-grain brown rice
- 2 cups (480 ml) water
- 2 cups (480 ml) canned lite coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Directions for Fody's Low FODMAP Jerk Chicken with Pineapple Salsa
For the Chicken & Marinade: Add oil, scallions greens, soy sauce, allspice, ginger, lime juice, sugar, vinegar, cinnamon, thyme and jalapeno in the carafe of a blender. Season well with salt and pepper and blend well. Set aside and reserve ¼ cup (60 ml) of the marinade and pour the rest into a bowl. Add chicken to the larger amount and turn to coat well. Cover bowl and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
Meanwhile make the Salsa: Simply stir the pineapple, scallions, cilantro and lime juice together in a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until needed.
Make the rice as you cook your chicken, so that they can be prepared simultaneously.
Remove chicken from marinade and allow to come to room temperature while you make a medium heat charcoal fire.
For the rice, heat the oil in a deep skillet over low-medium heat. Add the ginger and sauté for a minute, then add the rice and stir it around to coat, toasting the rice for about 1 minute. Add the water, coconut milk, lime zest and season well with salt and pepper. Cover, bring to a boil, adjust heat to low and simmer, covered, until rice is cooked.
Brush clean grill grates with vegetable oil. Grill the chicken for about 20 to 30 minutes, turning often, until the chicken is cooked through, brushing with reserved marinade during the last 5 minutes. Let low FODMAP chicken rest for 5 minutes, then serve with rice and salsa alongside.
TipsYou can cook the chicken in a 375°F (190°C) oven. It won’t be quite the same but allows year-round cooking. Simply roast until done, about 35 minutes.
About the Chef
Dédé Wilson is the author of 17 cookbooks, including co-author of The Low FODMAP Diet: Step By Step.
Recipe brought to you by FODMAP Everyday® where we help you thrive while following the Low FODMAP Diet.
This original Low FODMAP recipe was created by recipe developer and author Dédé Wilson. You can find many more original Low FODMAP recipes, food and diet guidance as well as resources, support and more at FODMAP Everyday®.fodmapeveryday.com
So, what are you waiting for?
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.
Your cart -
Your cart is currently empty.