Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Makes 7 servings
Fody's Gluten-Free Mini Crab Cakes with Maple Dijon Dip
Description of Fody's Gluten-Free Mini Crab Cakes with Maple Dijon Dip
Gluten-free crab cakes are easy to make – but to make the best crab cakes you do have to buy the right crab. Since we wanted mini crab cakes here – perfect as Low FODMAP appetizers – I suggest backfin crab. It is made up of smaller chunks of lump crabmeat mixed in with flakes of white body meat. It is less expensive than lump crabmeat, which is what I use for larger gluten-free crab cakes, but backfin crab is perfect for these mini size appetizers; it will hold together better.
There is just no getting around the fact that great, meaty crab is what elevates this to the best crab cake recipe. Too often crab cakes are made with too much bready filler, when they should be about the crab. Here they are served with Fody's Low FODMAP Maple Dijon dressing as a ready-to-serve dip.
Please note that conventional Worcestershire sauce is Low FODMAP in the small portions used here (per Monash University lab testing), despite the fact that it contains onion and garlic.
Fody's Gluten-Free Mini Crab Cakes with Maple Dijon Dip Ingredients
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- ¼ cup (56 g) mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Fody Lemon Herb Seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce (stick with this amount for a Low FODMAP serving size)
- 1-pound (455 g) backfin crabmeat, fresh or refrigerated, drained and cleaned
- 1 cup (75 g) finely ground soft, fresh low FODMAP white breadcrumbs, such as from Udi’s Gluten-Free White Sandwich Bread
- ½ cup (73 g) Low FODMAP, gluten-free all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons (57 g) unsalted butter, divided (use lactose-free butter, if you prefer)
- 2 tablespoon Fody Garlic-Infused Olive Oil, divided
- Fody Maple Dijon Dressing
Directions for Fody's Gluten-Free Mini Crab Cakes with Maple Dijon Dip
In a mixing bowl whisk together the egg, mayonnaise, parsley, lemon juice, Fody Lemon Herb Seasoning and Worcestershire sauce. Gently fold in crab and gluten-free breadcrumbs. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
In a small bowl, place the Low FODMAP flour, season with salt and pepper, and whisk together.
Form crab cakes into mini size, about 1 ½-inches (4 cm) across and gently flatten into disc shapes.
Melt half the butter and half the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add a few crab cakes at a time, using a broad, sturdy spatula to transfer them to the pan. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes over medium heat on the first side, allowing the bottom to lightly brown. Flip carefully and cook second side for about 3 or 4 minutes more or until heated through and golden brown. Repeat with remaining butter, oil, and crab cakes.
Serve immediately with Fody's Low FODMAP Maple Dijon Dressing alongside.
About the Chef
Dédé Wilson is the author of 17 cookbooks, including co-author of The Low FODMAP Diet: Step By Step. Recipe brought to you by FODMAP Everyday® where we help you thrive while following the Low FODMAP Diet.
This original low FODMAP recipe was created by recipe developer and author Dédé Wilson. You can find many more original low FODMAP recipes, food and diet guidance as well as resources, support and more at FODMAP Everyday®.
So, what are you waiting for?
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.
Your cart -
Your cart is currently empty.