About 25 to 30 golf ball sized (43 mm) meatballs; 8 to 10 servings
Fody's Spaghetti & Meatballs
We know you want your comfort food and Spaghetti & Meatballs is high on the list. These couldn’t be easier and are a great addition to Low FODMAP pasta and sauce and also to pack into a Low FODMAP roll or baguette for a meatball sandwich.
We have oven baked these meatballs, instead of frying, for an easier approach. This technique also allows you to easily drain away excess fat and keeps their texture quite tender. Get the kids involved! They love rolling the meatballs into shape.
If you have never made meatballs before, you won’t believe how easy they are - and they are a perfect example of a Low FODMAP pasta recipe that is just as good - if not better - than your Italian Nonna’s!
- 1/4 cup (52g) Low FODMAP gluten-free fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) warm water
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup (50 g) finely grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- 2 teaspoons Fody Low FODMAP Garlic-Infused Olive Oil
- 1 pound (455 g) lean ground beef, such as 85% lean
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 24 ounces Low FODMAP gluten-free spaghetti, such as rice based spaghetti
- 2, 19.4 ounce (550 g) jars Fody Tomato & Basil or Marinara Low FODMAP Pasta Sauce
Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Have one rimmed baking sheet pan set aside and ready to use.
Combine the breadcrumbs and water in a large bowl and allow to sit for about 5 minutes or until breadcrumbs hydrate and soften. Add egg, parsley, Parmesan cheese and Fody Garlic-Infused Olive Oil, mix thoroughly to combine, then add meat and use your hands or a sturdy wooden spoon to combine well, but do not over-mix. Season with salt and pepper. Roll into golf-ball sized (43 mm) meatballs and scatter evenly spaced on pan.
Bake for 30 minutes, shaking pan gently once or twice during baking time so that the meatballs remain round and cook evenly. The meatballs will only be partially cooked at this point.
Place pasta sauce in a deep skillet. Use a slotted spoon to scoop up the meatballs and nestle them in the sauce. Bring to a simmer, covered, over medium heat and cook gently for 10 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in generous amount of salted water until al dente and drain well. Serve spaghetti immediately topped with sauce and meatballs. Pass extra Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Alternately, you can stuff the cooked meatballs into a Low-FODMAP baguette or roll.
About the Chef
Dédé Wilson is the author of 17 cookbooks, including co-author of The Low FODMAP Diet: Step By Step.
Recipe brought to you by FODMAP Everyday® where we help you thrive while following the Low FODMAP Diet.
This original Low FODMAP recipe was created by recipe developer and author Dédé Wilson. You can find many more original Low FODMAP recipes, food and diet guidance as well as resources, support and more at FODMAP Everyday®.fodmapeveryday.com
So, what are you waiting for?
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.
Your cart -
Your cart is currently empty.