A Low FODMAP Thanksgiving Guide
Thanksgiving is upon us and for many, this might mean the single most food-packed day of the whole year.
If you are following the low FODMAP diet, or a family member is, then you need a low FODMAP Thanksgiving strategy in order to get through the day (often the whole weekend!) safely and deliciously.
Here are our Top 8 Low FODMAP Thanksgiving Eating Strategies:
- Eat very cleanly in the days leading up to T-Day. FODMAPs can have a cumulative effect.
- If you are hosting, take advantage of the ever-growing low FODMAP recipes on our site and on sites with FODMAP credentials. If you are cooking, you can make sure the ingredients used are safe for you to eat.
- That starts at the store! Read labels to make sure you are buying low FODMAP foods - take advantage of Fody Foods, which are Monash University Low FODMAP Certified!
- If you are traveling to someone’s home, offer to bring a dish that is low FODMAP. Stuffings and grain/vegetable side dishes are hearty and will fill you up.
- Eyes Bigger Than Stomach - you know that old saying. All that holiday food looks amazing and can lure you into eating more than you should. Eat moderately.
- Be aware of FODMAP stacking. This is when you eat a low FODMAP dish, then another one - and then another one! And before you know it, you have actually consumed more FODMAPs than you thought you were eating. Be aware of this and err on the side of caution.
- Save room for dessert. You don’t want to be left out, so make sure you save room (in your tummy and from a FODMAP perspective) for dessert. With a low FODMAP recipe, you CAN have a small slice of pumpkin pie!
- Drink responsibly. This goes for everyone, but doubly so if you are following the low FODMAP diet. There are low FODMAP wines, beers and hard alcohol that you can have - and some to steer clear of. Use your Monash University Low FODMAP Diet Smartphone App to guide you.
The Fody team would like to wish all of our U.S. friends & customers a Happy Low FODMAP Thanksgiving!
So, what are you waiting for?
Shop from some of our best selling, low FODMAP foods.