Fody's Tofu & Kale Nourish Bowl
Nourish bowls might sound mysterious but really they are just an assemblage of yummy ingredients, served in a bowl - all Low FODMAP, of course. Comfort food and nutrition all in one. Read our article, How To Make a Nourish Bowl for our DIY approach.
This recipe for a Low FODMAP Tofu & Kale Nourish Bowl is a little more specific, but the Peanut Sauce can be used for so many things: toss it with Low FODMAP gluten-free noodles, ladle over steamed or grilled fish, chicken - you name it! We have been known to use it as a dip for crudité, too. In fact, the sauce doubles easily and will keep in the fridge for a week, so make an extra big batch and you will be set for days of great eating. Note that the sauce makes more than is needed for this recipe; please follow the directions for the proper Low FODMAP serving size.
Tofu is one of those soy products that is Low FODMAP, as long as you buy firm or extra-firm. The softer varieties do not have enough of the water-soluble fructans pressed and drained away, so read the labels!
Note that you do need hot cooked rice or quinoa on hand for assembly of your nourish bowl. You can use leftover and reheat in the microwave.
- 1/2 cup (135 g) smooth peanut butter, preferably natural or no-stir style
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) naturally brewed soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Fody Low FODMAP Garlic-Infused Olive Oil
- 1 inch (2.5 cm) peeled fresh ginger root
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Low FODMAP hot sauce, optional and to taste
- Water, as needed
- 14 to 16 ounces (400 g to 455 g) firm or extra firm tofu, drained, cut into slabs about 1/3 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons Fody Low FODMAP Garlic-Infused Olive Oil, divided
- 2 cups (274 g) chopped, washed kale (we used purple, curly kale)
- 2 cups (70 g) fresh salad greens such as baby lettuces and/or spinach
- 2 cups cooked rice (360 g) or quinoa (310 g), hot or warm
- 1 medium (140 g) sweet potato, cooked, peeled; hot or warm and diced
- 1/4 cup (30 g) shredded, peeled or scrubbed carrots
- 8 thin slices of daikon (we used purple daikon), optional
Make the Sauce: Place peanut butter, soy sauce, ginger, vinegar, sesame oil, brown sugar, Fody Low FODMAP Garlic-Infused Olive Oil, ginger and hot sauce in a blender and process until smooth. Scrape down blender as needed and add water, if needed, to create a pourable sauce. Taste and adjust heat with the hot sauce, if desired. Sauce may be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Slice the block of tofu into 1/3 inch (8 mm) slabs and place them side-by-side on a triple layer of paper towels to soak up excess moisture. Cut each slab of tofu into 3 smaller slabs (each piece will be approximately 3 by 11/2 inches/ 7.5 cm by 4 cm).
Heat 1/2 tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet and add half of the tofu. Cook over medium-high heat until golden and crispy on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Flip over and cook second side, about 3 minutes more, then remove to a platter and keep warm. Use another 1/2 tablespoon oil and cook remaining tofu.
Add remaining tablespoon of oil to the pan and sauté kale for a couple of minutes, tossing often, until just beginning to wilt.
Divide the salad greens among 4 bowls, then divide the rice or quinoa among the bowls as well. Divvy up the tofu, sweet potato, kale and carrots. Garnish with daikon, if using. Drizzle each serving with 2 tablespoons of Peanut Sauce and enjoy your Low FODMAP Tofu & Kale Nourish Bowl! By the way, this works at room temperature, too - pack a lunch!
About the Chef
Dédé Wilson is the author of 17 cookbooks, including co-author of The Low FODMAP Diet: Step By Step.
Recipe brought to you by FODMAP Everyday® where we help you thrive while following the Low FODMAP Diet.
This original Low FODMAP recipe was created by recipe developer and author Dédé Wilson. You can find many more original Low FODMAP recipes, food and diet guidance as well as resources, support and more at FODMAP Everyday®.fodmapeveryday.com
So, what are you waiting for?
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.
Your cart -
Your cart is currently empty.