Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Makes 6 servings
Fody's BBQ Tofu Skewers with Pineapple Salsa & Cilantro Lime Rice
Time to tantalize your taste buds with Fody’s gut friendly BBQ Tofu Skewers with Pineapple Salsa & Cilantro Lime Rice. In this easy plant-based recipe, juicy tofu, charred to perfection, is paired with the tropical sweetness of pineapple salsa and the refreshing kick of cilantro lime rice. This bloat-free dish is a flavor-packed journey that will transport you to culinary paradise. Share the love for plant-based goodness and savor every delicious bite!
Fody's BBQ Tofu Skewers with Pineapple Salsa & Cilantro Lime Rice Ingredients:
- 1 ¼ cups uncooked white rice such as jasmine or basmati
- 2 ½ cups water
- ½ tsp kosher salt, optional
- 3 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 16 oz. package super-firm or extra-firm tofu*, cut into 2 cm cubes
- 2 tbsp Fody Foods Shallot Infused Olive Oil
- 1-2 tbsp Fody Foods Steak Seasoning, to taste
- 1 bell pepper, cut into 1 cm chunks (1/3 each red, yellow and green pepper)
- Avocado oil cooking spray (optional)
- ¾ cups Fody Foods Unsweetened Ketchup
- 1 ½ tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp agave nectar
- 1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 3 ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 ½ cups pineapple, finely diced
- ½ tomato, finely diced
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
- Dash cayenne
- ¼ - ½ tsp kosher salt, to taste
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tsp Fody Foods Shallot Infused Olive Oil
Directions for Fody's BBQ Tofu Skewers with Pineapple Salsa & Cilantro Lime Rice
To start your cilantro lime rice, add rice and water (and optional salt if using) to a medium saucepan. Cover, bring to a boil, then immediately reduce heat to low. Cook for 12-15 minutes, or until all water has just evaporated. Turn off heat and let steam for 5 minutes, then add cilantro and lime juice. Gently stir with a fork to fully incorporate.
To make the BBQ Sauce for your tofu skewers, add all the ingredients to a small saucepan, whisk together and cook covered on medium-low for 5-6 minutes at a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally.
Spread out tofu cubes on a large baking tray. Drizzle shallot oil over the top and sprinkle with steak seasoning. Very gently toss to coat. Add tofu to skewers, with one or two pieces of bell pepper on each. Preheat a grill pan on medium to medium-high heat. Spray a small amount of cooking spray in the pan, or use more olive oil, and lay out skewers in a single layer. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, brush generously with BBQ Sauce and flip, cooking for another 4 to 6 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare Pineapple Salsa by adding all its ingredients to a mixing bowl and stir well. Serve tofu skewers on top of cilantro lime rice, topped with some pineapple salsa. Serve remaining pineapple salsa and BBQ Sauce on the side. All that’s left is to enjoy your plant-based feast!
If you are using extra-firm tofu instead of super-firm tofu, press tofu for 15-20 minutes. To press tofu, wrap tofu in a paper towel and place it on a plate. Place a saucepan or frying pan on top, or use a tofu press, to remove water that comes out of the tofu.
About the Chef
Janet Gronnow is the recipe creator and food photographer behind the popular blog Munch Meals by Janet and the @janetsmunchmeals Instagram account. Janet shares approachable, delicious meals for foodies and families, focusing on simple ingredients and preparations that pack big flavor.
So, what are you waiting for?
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.
Your cart -
Your cart is currently empty.