Makes 6 servings
Fody's Low FODMAP Spanish Chicken & Rice
Description of Fody's Low FODMAP Spanish Chicken & Rice
This low FODMAP chicken and rice one-skillet dinner smells incredibly enticing while it is cooking - and tastes even better! It takes advantage of Fody's Low FODMAP Shallot-Infused Olive Oil (or Fody Garlic-Infused Olive Oil) and Fody's Low FODMAP Chicken Soup Base, which we hope you have in your cupboard. You will probably have to shop for the saffron. It is pricey, but a little goes a long way and it adds unparalleled flavor, making this low FODMAP dinner a treat for special guests.
Fody's Low FODMAP Spanish Chicken & Rice Ingredients
- ½ cup (120 ml) dry white wine
- Large pinch of saffron
- 8 medium (about 3-pounds/1.4 kg) chicken thighs and/or legs, skin on, bone in
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Fody Low FODMAP Shallot-Infused Olive Oil, or Fody Low FODMAP Garlic-Infused Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup (36 g) chopped leek greens
- 1/2 cup (32 g) chopped scallion greens
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into strips
- 4 cups (960 ml) water
- 1 tablespoon Fody Low FODMAP Chicken Soup Base
- 1, 28 ounce (793 g) can diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups (370 g) long-grain white rice
- ½ cup (80 g) pitted green olives, halved crosswise
Directions for Fody's Low FODMAP Spanish Chicken & Rice
Combine wine and saffron in measuring cup and let sit for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, place chicken thighs in a mixing bowl and add the paprika, salt and pepper. Use fingers to rub seasoning into chicken to coat well; set aside.
Heat oil in a large, deep-sided skillet over medium heat and brown chicken thighs, skin side down, for a few minutes or until nicely browned, about 3 minutes. Flip over and brown the other side, too. The chicken should be about three-quarters of the way cooked through. Remove from pan.
Add the leek and scallion greens and bell pepper strips and sauté for about 3 minutes, stirring often, until softened, but not browned. Add wine and use a spatula to scrape up all the browned bits. Stir in water, Fody Low FODMAP Chicken Soup Base, tomatoes and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Stir to ensure soup base is dissolved. Stir in rice and bring back to a boil. Nestle chicken pieces in sauce, skin side up and scatter olives all around. Cover, adjust heat and simmer for about 30 minutes or until rice is cooked and most of the liquid is absorbed - but the mixture should still be a bit moist. Turn off heat and allow to steam, still covered, for about 5 minutes. Your low FODMAP chicken and rice is ready to serve or may be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
About the Chef
Dédé Wilson is the author of 17 cookbooks, including co-author of The Low FODMAP Diet: Step By Step. Recipe brought to you by FODMAP Everyday® where we help you thrive while following the Low FODMAP Diet.
This original low FODMAP recipe was created by recipe developer and author Dédé Wilson. You can find many more original low FODMAP recipes, food and diet guidance as well as resources, support and more at FODMAP Everyday®.
So, what are you waiting for?
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.
Your cart -
Your cart is currently empty.