Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Makes 16 cups (3.8 L) of soup; 16 servings; serving size 1 cup (240 ml)
Fody Salsa & Tortilla Low FODMAP Vegetable Soup
Description of Low FODMAP Salsa & Tortilla Vegetable Soup
This light, brothy soup is packed with low FODMAP vegetables like carrots, parsnips, zucchini, kale and leek and scallion greens but right before serving you embellish it with a shower of tortilla chips and cheese making for a very flavorful - and texturally interesting - soup. I even give you a variation with shrimp (see Tips)!
I have been on a Fody Salsa kick recently - I have been incorporating it into breakfast dishes, like in my Salsa Quinoa Egg Cups, as well as into main dishes like my Flavor-Packed Tex-Mex Quick Chicken, Veggies & Quinoa. It’s time to order yourself some salsa (I am partial to the Medium) and get into the kitchen.
This soup also uses Fody Shallot-Infused Olive Oil and Fody Vegetable Soup Base, which I always have in the pantry. You could use Fody Chicken Soup Base, as well.
Salsa & Tortilla Vegetable Soup Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons Fody Shallot-Infused Olive Oil
- ¼ cup (18 g) chopped leek greens
- ¼ cup (16 g) chopped scallion greens
- 12 cups (2.8 L) water
- One, 16-ounce (453 g) jar Fody Salsa (I like Medium)
- 2 tablespoons Fody Vegetable Soup Base
- 2 medium carrots, trimmed, cut crosswise into ¾ -inch (2 cm) rounds
- 2 medium parsnips, trimmed and diced
- 1 medium zucchini, trimmed diced
- 1 medium pattypan squash, trimmed and diced
- 4 ounces (115 g) cleaned and trimmed lacinato kale, chopped
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces (170 g) Low FODMAP corn tortilla chips
- 4 ounces (115 g) Cheddar or Monterey jack cheese, shredded
Heat oil in a 5-quart (4.7 L) Dutch oven or similar size stockpot over low-medium heat. Add the leek and scallion greens and sauté for about 3 minutes or until softened but do not let them brown.
Add the water, salsa and soup base and whisk around to combine. Turn heat up and bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 1 minute until soup base dissolves. Add all of the vegetables, cover, adjust heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes total. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and top with a small handful of tortilla chips and a little cheese. Soup itself can be refrigerated in airtight containers for up to 4 days or frozen for 1 month.
To make this into a shrimp version, simply add nice plump extra-large raw shrimp (2 or 3 per serving) to the soup right before serving. Have the soup at barely a simmer. As soon as the shrimp turn pink, it is ready to serve.
About the Chef
Dédé Wilson is the author of 17 cookbooks, including co-author of The Low FODMAP Diet: Step By Step.
Recipe brought to you by FODMAP Everyday® where we help you thrive while following the Low FODMAP Diet.
This original Low FODMAP recipe was created by recipe developer and author Dédé Wilson. You can find many more original Low FODMAP recipes, food and diet guidance as well as resources, support and more at FODMAP Everyday®.fodmapeveryday.com
So, what are you waiting for?
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.
Your cart -
Your cart is currently empty.